Foods NEVER to FEED your Dog! Print E-mail

Foods NEVER to FEED your Dog

1. Alcoholic Beverages. Ethanol is the component in alcoholic beverages that can be toxic when an excessive amount is ingested. Pets are much smaller than us and can be highly affected by small amounts of alcohol. Exercise caution when drinks and pets are together. Toxicity can cause a wide variety of signs and symptoms, and may result in death. Signs may include odor of alcohol on the animal's breath, staggering, behavioral changes, excitement, depression, increased urination, slow respiratory rate or cardiac arrest and death.

2. Apples, Apricots, Cherries, Peaches and Plums . Ingestion of large amounts of stems, seeds and leaves of these fruits can be toxic. They contain a cyanide type compound and signs of toxicity include apprehension, dilated pupils, difficulty breathing, hyperventilation and shock.

3. Grapes and Raisins . So far, about 10 dogs poisoned by grapes and raisins have been officially reported to the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center. The amount of grapes or raisins ingested has been between 9 ounces to 2 pounds, and dogs ingesting these large amounts have developed kidney failure. Aggressive, and sometimes prolonged, treatment may be necessary to give the affected dog a chance at survival; without treatment death is possible. Despite testing, the reason for the kidney failure and the amount necessary for toxicity remains unknown. For now, any dog that ingests large amounts of grapes or raisins should be treated aggressively, so contact your veterinarian immediately if ingestion has occurred.

4. Baking Powder and Baking Soda. Baking soda and baking powder are both leavening agents. A leavening agent is a common ingredient in baked goods that produces a gas causing batter and dough to rise. Baking soda is simply sodium bicarbonate. Baking powder consists of baking soda and an acid, usually cream of tartar, calcium acid phosphate, sodium aluminum sulfate or a mixture of the three. Ingestion of large amounts of baking soda or baking powder can lead to electrolyte abnormalities (low potassium, low calcium and/or high sodium), congestive heart failure or muscle spasms.

5. Chocolate . Chocolate, in addition to having a high fat content, contains caffeine and theobromine. These two compounds are nervous system stimulants and can be toxic to your dog in high amounts. The levels of caffeine and theobromine vary between different types of chocolate. For example, white chocolate has the lowest concentration of stimulants and baking chocolate or cacao beans have the highest concentration. Depending on the type of chocolate ingested and the amount eaten, various problems can occur.

6. Coffee (grounds and beans). Coffee grounds or beans can cause "caffeine" toxicity in dogs.


7. Fatty Foods. Dogs love rich fatty foods. They often get these foods as treats, leftovers or from getting into the trash. Fatty foods can cause pancreatitis  in any pet except miniature or toy poodles. Cocker spaniels and miniature schnauzers are particularly prone to pancreatitis. The dog may become very sick very quickly.

8. Dairy Products . Dairy products are not highly dangerous but can pose problems for two reasons. Dairy products have a high fat content, and like other fatty foods, they could cause pancreatitis. The second danger is that pets digest dairy products poorly.

9. Macadamia Nuts. Macadamia nuts, also called the Queensland or Australia nut, can be toxic ... but we don't know why. The reason may be a mystery, but the evidence is clear. As few as six to 40 macadamia nuts have been shown to cause severe toxic symptoms in dogs.

10. Moldy or Spoiled Food . Dogs love to get into the trash. A medical problem arises when the trash contains moldy or spoiled food. In addition to food poisoning, some pets can develop tremors related to the ingestion of certain molds.

11. Nutmeg. You may not realize this but high levels of nutmeg can be toxic - even fatal. The toxicity principle is not well understood, but signs of toxicity include tremors, seizures, nervous system abnormalities and death.

12. Onions or Garlic . Dogs and cats lack the enzyme necessary to properly digest onions. A dog or cat that eats onions may experience gas, vomiting, diarrhea or severe gastrointestinal distress. All forms of onion and garlic are problematic, including raw, dehydrated, cooked or powder.ed forms. If large amounts of onion or garlic are ingested, or if onions are a part of your dog's daily diet, the red blood cells may become fragile and break apart.

13. Xylitol (sugar substitute). Xylitol is a sweetener made from sugar-alcohol.It is found in sugar-free human food products, such as chewing gum and candy.

14. Yeast Dough . When ingested, bread or yeast dough will "rise" in your dog's stomach just as rises in bread. This creates two problems. The dough often expands to many times its original size while inside your dog's stomach, causing your dog's stomach to expand as well. As the dough rises and ferments, alcohol is produced which can cause "alcohol toxicity."